Your company can begin its telecom cost-reduction without risk or hassles.
There are NO upfront fees or costly retainers
to get your analysis started.
Start saving money, call today!
Since 1972, TelCon has been providing top-rated telecom audit services.
Check out the 'frequently asked questions' to learn about our unique
Q: Do you guarantee a minimum amount of savings after the analysis is complete?
No. It is very difficult to guarantee any amount of savings “before” an analysis has begun. We base our savings on 40+ years of working with
clients. Typically we uncover 15-25% savings, but with all of the changes in the industry in the past several years, that percentage has been
steadily rising. Less than 3% of our clients have had no savings from a cost-reduction analysis. The remaining 97% have realized savings ranging
from 5-70%. See our recent results for specific numbers of cost-reduction we have achieved for others in a wide variety of industries.
Q: Do you “outsource” any of your cost-reduction work overseas?
No. All work is done “in-house” by highly qualified and experienced TelCon Associates employees.
Q: What certifications, and/or technical training does your company have which sets you apart from your competition?
The majority of Telecom Expense Management (TEM) companies have been in existence less than 10-15 years. TelCon
Associates has been analyzing voice/data services for over 40 years.
There is a very good chance that we trained our competition. During the 1980s and 1990s, TelCon consultants conducted semi-annual nationwide
telecom auditing seminars for the Center for Communications Management Information (CCMI), a subsidiary of the United Communications Group (UCG). Over
the years, TelCon consultants have been hired to conduct numerous audit sessions at seminars and conventions, and have worked for clients to provide
in-house audit training for clients’ telecom and IT personnel. In all, we have trained thousands of people in the art of conducting telecom audits.
TelCon Associates was one of the founding members of the Society of Telecommunication Consultants, and TelCon's founder served as the first president for
We've saved companies millions of dollars. Check out some of those savings below. To see some more in-depth studies / results, check out our Case Studies
for Telecom Audit, Bill Management, Cost Reduction, and more.
When cutting telecom costs, an audit of expenses is the first step. The perfect second step to keeping those expenses lower is a bill
management system coupled with an accurate reporting system to keep track of expenses, inventories, tickets, and custom requests.